Ethiopian Sesame and Oilseeds
Ethiopia has a total area of 112 million hectares out which about 45% is arable. The country has a potential irrigable land of about 3.7 million ha. Overall, Ethiopia’s natural resource base, the soil, the climate, the relative humidity the vegetation types are the foundations of agriculture. The different agro ecological zones, extensive arable land and high population in rural areas make Ethiopia an agrarian country. Agriculture is the mainstay of the national economy contributing about 46% of GDP, over 90% export and 83% of employment.
Ethiopia is one of the centers of biodiversity for several oilseeds which can be considered as specialty high value seeds on the international market.
- Sesame Seed
- Niger Buy cialis pills Seeds
- Mustard Seed
- Pumpkin Seed
- Rape Seed
- Castor Seeds
- Ground Nuts
The crops grown in Ethiopia are diverse following the mosaic agro-ecologies derived from the
- soil types -ranging from fertile soils to sand
- and cropping altitude from more than 3000mt to less than 600 mt asl.
About 146 crop types in Ethiopia and oilseeds are among the major ones. Sesame and Niger seed dominate largely the oil seeds category. Niger seed is oil crop of Ethiopian origin like coffee.
Ethiopian Sesame Seeds (Types & Qualities)
Among the oil crops of Ethiopia, sesame seed commands a leading position because it is highly adapted to arid & semiarid low land environment and yields well.
Types of Ethiopian Sesame
- Whitish Humera Type: has good demand in the world market & known for its top quality. Also used as a reference for grading in the international market
- Wellega Type: which is mixed /brownish
Qualities Of Ethiopian sesame
Ethiopia has high quality sesame seed varieties suitable for wide range applications. The humera type is appreciated worldwide for its aroma and taste.
Sowing and Harvesting – Ethiopian Sesame Seed
The best time for sowing period is found http://techwildcatters.com/online/ to be from
- Beginning of June to Mid July when cultivated as rain fed crop.
- Maturity depends on the weather condition and it usually varies from 90 – 105 days.
- Mid October to November is the usual harvesting time
- Harvesting begins when two third of the plant and seed pods turn yellow
Ecology of Ethiopian Sesame Seed
Ethiopia has altitudes from below sea level up to4500meter above sea generic viagra 100mg level with different climate zones which enables to grow a wide variety of oilseeds crops. Sesame is grown from sea level to altitudes of 1500mt with uniformly distributed rainfall of about 500-8-00 mm and temperature of 25- 30 Celsius. All the sesame growing areas fulfill the above condition In particular the north and north western parts of the country
Ethiopian Sesame – Production and Potential
- Due to its importance as a major export commodity the area coverage and production has increased in the last consecutive years
- There is an enormous potential to expand sesame seed production in Ethiopia through cultivation of additional new land.
- Despite the traditional way of farming yields for oilseeds are on the viagra online canada same level as other producing countries.
- The government is enhancing the investment in the oilseeds sector with an extended package of incentives.
- Hence with the transfer of technology and the provision of inputs, the increment of production and yield will be achieved strongly.
- Availability of Virgin fertile new areas which can be cultivated on large scale + cheap and abundant labor are the key indicators of the future potential